Courtesy of Timesunion.com
Let’s Talk! Who doesn’t love a parade? It’s free entertainment for the whole family, and Memorial Day parades in particular offer the perfect opportunity to remember our veterans and thank our active military personnel. Here’s a roundup of Capital Region parades:
- South Glens Falls Memorial Day Parade, Village of South Glens Falls. 6 p.m. The parade starts at Haviland and Main streets, continues down Main and marches right on Fifth to Ferry Boulevard. A brief ceremony in Veterans Park follows.
- Stillwater Memorial Day Parade, Village of Stillwater. 6 p.m. http://villageofstillwaterny.org/. The parade marches from Hudson Avenue along Route 4.
- Ballston Spa Memorial Day Parade,
- Village of Ballston Spa. 9 a.m. http://www.ballston.org/
sponsored-events.asp. Starts at Milton Avenue. Ceremony at the Village’s Armed Services Memorial on Low Street at the conclusion of parade, followed by a free picnic in Wiswall Park. Organized by Henry Cornell American Legion Post 234 and VFW Post 358.
- East Greenbush Memorial Day Parade, East Greenbush VFW, 100 Hays Road, East Greenbush. 10 a.m. The parade steps off at Spare Time Bowling Alley on Columbia Turnpike and ends at the VFW Post.
- Lake George Memorial Day Parade, Village of Lake George. 11:30 a.m. The parade steps off from Westbrook Road and proceeds north on Canada Street to Shepard Park.
- Memorial Day Ecumenical Service, Oakwood Cemetery, 186 Oakwood Ave., Troy. 9 a.m. Free. (800) 556-6273 or http://www.oakwoodcemetery.org
. SJoin Oakwood and the Veterans of Lansingburgh for their annual graveside wreath-laying ceremony, and placement of flags at the Soldiers’ Plot. Oakwood President Tom Maggs and program volunteer Michael Barrett will officiate. Local Boy Scouts will participate. Held indoors in case of heavy rain only.
- Memorial Day Observance, Valley Falls Free Library, 42 State St., Valley Falls. 10 a.m. 753-4230 or http://valleyfallslibrary.org. The ceremony will include invocation, flag raising, blessing of the flags, Honor Guard/Rifle Squad, Taps, special music and Benediction.
- Rensselaer Memorial Day Parade, City of Rensselaer. 1 p.m. The opening ceremony and parade will start at Beverwyck Cemetery across from Doane Stuart, corner of Washington Avenue and Forbes Avenue. Step off time will be 2 p.m. and the route for this year’s parade will be Washington Avenue to Broadway and Third Avenue, ending at Third Avenue and Walker Street
- Albany Memorial Day Parade,
- Downtown Albany, Central Avenue, Albany. 9:30 a.m. The parade starts at Patridge Street and Central Avenue and contines east on Central Avenue to Washington Avenue and on to North Hawk Street. There will be a reviewing at the State Education Building on Washington Avenue. A ceremony at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Lafayette Park follows.
- Bethlehem Memorial Day Parade, Elsmere Fire District, Delmar. 11 a.m. http://www.townofbethlehem.
org/. The parade steps off at the Elsmere Fire House, 15 West Poplar Drive, and will proceed down Elsmere Avenue to a right on to Kenwood Avenue to a left on to Adams Place to a right on to Adams Street to a right on to Delaware Avenue. Events conclude at the Bethlehem Veterans Memorial Park where there will be a flag raising ceremony, prayer service, Taps and the playing of the National Anthem.
- Castleton-Schodack Memorial Day Parade, Village of Castleton. 10 a.m. http://www.castleton-on-
hudson.org/. The parade will begin at the corner of Boltwood and Seaman Avenues and will conclude with ceremonies at the Mountain View Cemetery.
- Glens Falls Memorial Day Parade, City Of Glens Falls. 10 a.m. Commencing on Bay Street at the Civil War Monument, proceeding north onto Glen Street.
- Hoosick Falls Memorial Day Parade, Main Street, Hoosick Falls. 10 a.m. http://www.
villageofhoosickfalls.com/. Stepping off at Main and Church streets, the parade will be preceded by a ceremony in Wood’s Park at 8 a.m.
- Lansingburgh Memorial Day Parade, Downtown Lansingburgh. 11 a.m. http://troyny.gov/. Stepping off at 123rd Street and Fifth Avenue, the parade marches south to 115th and Fifth Avenue, turns on 115th Street to Second Avenue, goes north on Second Avenue to 121st Street and Second Avenue and ends in front of the Standard Manufacturing Company.
- Memorial Day Wreath Laying Ceremony, West Albany Memorial Park, Fairfield Avenue, Albany. Noon. The 15th annual wreath laying event is hosted by the West Albany Italian Benevolent Society and Ladies Auxiliary.
- North Greenbush Memorial Day Parade. 1:30 p.m. 326-0722. The parade marches rom Williams Road Ballfield/ Meadow Drive Area down Williams Raod to Whiteview Road, along Whiteview to Brookside Avenue, down Brookside to Main Avenue to the North Greenbush Town Offices where the Memorial Day ceremonies to honor our veterans will take place.
- Watervliet Memorial Day Parade, City of Watervliet. 10 a.m. The parade proceeds from the Watervliet High School parking lot to 19th Street, east to Second Avenue, then south to 16th Street and ends at the Veteran’s Memorial Park where a memorial service takes place honoring all veterans.
Have a wonderful safe weekend!